Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

CARSEM


    Something positive can come out of negative thinking. I've experienced it. All day and all night, all I thought about was the possible criticisms that my illustration will get from my thesis adviser. But after submitting my artwork, I only got one negative feedback! I was so creatively thinking up the negative comments that my adviser will be telling me. I was ready to face the harsh truth that I have to do the illustration over. After all the negative thinking, I was pleasantly surprised by how opposite things turned out. I feel like that was a healthy paranoia. Which reminds me of what transpired in a seminar today. 

  Today, we had our career seminar. It's a talk for graduating students. There were several speakers for every department in our college. As for the Advertising Department, we had the pleasure of listening to Rizza Garcia and Dennis Nierra's insights and advice regarding the advertising industry, our passion, the battle we are currently facing a.k.a. thesis, and many more. I really liked the advice and the tips they gave us for every possible stage in our advertising life.

   Rizza approached it like a child would do, with doodles and handwritten words in her presentation, she presented the perks of being an art director. With funny lines like, "makikilala mo ang pinakapoging lalaki sa balat ng langit at lupa" and "gusto ko lang magdrawing (kahit di ako magaling magdrawing)." She shared the projects she's worked on in the past 2 years of her job as an art director for a famous ad agency. She told us the story on how she found her passion and she gave us a great advice for our own passions: keep the dream alive. And that's what I plan to do!

   On the other hand, Dennis approached it like a game. Starting his presentation with a question: WHAT IF? What if we can go through life like it's just a game? Go to school like we're on a race? Answer an exam with limited life? Then, he gave us an overview of the current and future stages that we might face as an advertising student. Right now, I'm on Stage 19: Thesis boss battle. BOSS BATTLE! For each stage, he gave us advice on how to fight every boss villains. Haha! And my favorite tip from him is probably what I've mentioned on the first paragraph of this post: Have healthy paranoia.

  Before the two aforementioned speakers gave us their talk, a guidance councilor from another college, Ms. Stephanie Lu, also gave us advice for the period after our graduation: applying for jobs, looking for employers, preparing for interviews, etc. And she gave us the sweetest message that day: "you are a masterpiece." So are you! You are God's masterpiece. Use what He gave You to glorify Him and to help others live a better life. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment