Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

October 9, 2012

The book was courtesy of a friend who likes to underline or book mark the parts of the book that she liked. I think should do that too. Haha


It was the last book I read and I'd like to share my thoughts about it before I forget them. ;) ;)

The story is narrated by Naomi, the teenage amnesiac. She forgot 4 years of her life when she "tripped/fell" down the stairs of Tom Purdue, her high school. Along with those years, she also forgot her best friend, Will and the reason why he calls her "Chief," her popular tennis player boyfriend, Ace, her parent's divorce, her mother's new family, his Dad's fiancé, even her skills in driving. Then she also meets James, "the boy with the questionable past and the even fuzzier future" (that's what was written at the back of the book).

I don't know why but I really liked the book. Or maybe I know why and I'm just not ready to tell you yet. Or maybe you'll know why after reading this book review. Sometimes, I feel like I can relate to Naomi, but I can't pinpoint which parts I can relate to. Weird, I know. I'm not sure if it's just me or it has something to do with Gabrielle Zevin's way of writing. It felt like I can feel what Naomi was feeling. In a way, sort of, I guess. Reading that novel made me realize that I don't completely imagine the face of the characters. I just imagine a face when needed, e.g. when the character is crying or smiling, or when their face is being described. Weird, I know. I guess I just imagine them as a whole person; I imagine the personality, not the physical appearance. Wow! (Sudden realization!) I should really apply that in the real world, seeing what's inside, what's significant; instead of outside appearance. Seeing or looking? Should one look for what's inside or see what's inside? Hmm. So many thoughts to ponder... Okay, now back to the book. I really liked Will, Naomi's best friend. He's just so...passionate, and geeky. He's a very likable character. He inspired me to make my own mixes for every important event in my life or maybe for a friend?
"Too much to say with none of the right words to say it. I'd rather just pick the perfect song to do the work for me."
That's what Will said about making mixes. Maybe in the near future, I'll be posting mixes in this sweet blog o'mine. Okay, so at the beginning of the third/second paragraph, I told you I'm not sure why I can relate to Naomi, but I think I know now... I think it's because the book was written in the first person which makes it easy to feel, think, or even act like the character. That's pretty amazing, isn't it? Another realization. I'm realizing a lot of things as I write. That's pretty amazing for me. BACK TO THE BOOK! Another thing I liked about it are the songs/mixes within the book. The mixes that Will made for Naomi so that she might remember some of the things she forgot. Music can have that effect on you... There's this song...every time I hear it, I remember the first time I watched it on MTV - the moment, the feeling, the weather that day, the arrangement of the furniture in the room, everything (sort of). The things that you don't normally remember unless you're subjected to the song. Kinda like nostalgia, I guess? Hahaha. I'm rambling now.

I highly recommend that you read the book. You'll not only enjoy Zevin's "sensitive, joyful...heart-bruising love story;" you'll also get acquainted with songs that you might like or even love...or not.

Here's a fun photo of the book (those stars and flowers are meant to encourage you to read the book. I hope it works)

No comments:

Post a Comment